Friday, August 14, 2009

Artist of the Week: Bishop Allen

I think I may be developing a thing for bands that feature ivy league rs. After a bit of research, I realized that now twice the artists of the week that I talk about on here have been a twosome of Harvard grads. Starting with Max and DA of Chester French, I have now come to Bishop Allen who are the band that I just can't get out of my head and another Brooklyn gem. Don't just throw them in the the same boat as recent favorites from there like The Virgins and A Moment's Worth though. The two some that has been there from the beginning, Christian Rudder and Justin Rice, provide a sound that reminds you of a few different acts. Their summery sound reminds me of the southern Californian act Rooney while their lyrics seem a little like the already mentioned Virgins from the same borough. They mean other bands to memory but they are all their own mold.

The name may seem familiar if you have ever seen the teen indie film 'Nick and Norah's Infinite Play list' in the scene where Michael Cera's fictional band The Jerkoffs were opening for them. Amongst other great indie bands featured on the soundtrack, they also had one of their songs Middle Management on the soundtrack along with a performance in the movie. They put out their latest effort this year on March 10th and haven't failed to disappoint me yet. Some of my favorites are 'Rain', 'Click,Click,Click' and 'Things are what you make of them' and these guys are definitely something to check out. Right now, I don't see any shows on their schedule but they have played dates all around the country and around the world so I hope we can expect some soon, since I know I'll be there!

Check their music out here and see their video below for my personal favorite 'Click,Click,Click':

No comments:

Post a Comment