Wednesday, July 22, 2009

All Great Things..will hopefully never come to an end!


Recently, via the inter webs, I searched out for the great act, "All Great Things".

This class act's music is definitely music you can just relax too, and jam along to. The music is something that you don't hear every day and definitely has it's own style to it. I could see it as a soundtrack to a movie montage, as strange as that may sound and it's not a bad thing. It has an older edge to it's vocals and musical arrangements, and definitely something I love!

A while back, I sat down via the Internet with Anthony Seffera and talked about everything with these new york indie wonders, even finding something that is becoming a common love interest with a lot of great new yorkers these days in Neutral Milk Hotel. What's even more surprising though is their personal selection of who their dream tour would consist of!

Meet All Great Things.

How did you come up with the name "All Great Things"? Has it ever changed before?
Uh, the name, the name, what's in a name? well, "all great things.." is really an ode (of sorts) to impermanence of all things, great or small, good or bad. It's a celebration of dust! its the music! its the blues! and uh, it's the only way I could really think to represent what we create or, why we create, you know, as people, as artists (pardon my french)...champions of falling! a celebration of dust!

What is, in your opinion, the top album of 2009 thus far or of 2008?
Well, to be honest, I have had my head in the dust bin lately, been listening to a lot of jazz and pre war folk music and have not been listening much to the radio or new albums. So, with that in consideration, i'd have to say a welsch band called "el condor pasa" has really intrigued me, they only released an EP but it has some fantastic melodies on there. I'd also have to say "Jungle Blues" by C.W. Stoneking, some serious instrumentation on that album, and maybe "Keep it Hid" by Dan Auerbach, I am a sucker for anything that guy touches!

How do you go about the song writing process? Does one person write the lyrics or is it more of a collective effort?
Well, I started this project about a year ago, and have played live shows with half a dozen musicians since then. Most recently, the didgeridoo skills of Andre Dimapilis and the lovely Ms Eva Vossmerbaumer on the fiddle, but as far as the recording and writing goes, at least thus far, it's been a somewhat lonesome affair...

Who are your major musical influences?
Tom Waits, The Doors, Leonard Cohen, Rev. Gary Davis, Dylan, Jeff Buckley, Billie Holiday, Beethoven, Skip James, Conor Oberst, Dave Van Work, Woody, Folk Music in general, from all around the world...Balkan, French, American, Spanish. whatever! Inspiration is everywhere.

If you could choose any three acts to go on tour with, who would they be?
The Doors, Bob Dylan
&...Cyndi Lauper!

Who are you listening to at the moment?
At this exact moment? Neutral Milk Hotel "Aeroplane Over The Sea"

Do you ever play covers in your sets? If so, which ones?
Sure, occasionally I will play a cover of another number..some Blind Willie Mctell, um, I am partial to a song called "Two Trains", not sure who wrote it originally though, it's covered by a lot of people. I'd really like to work out a version of "When I See A Elephant Fly" from Dumbo, but I think it may be out of my league.

What are you up to right now, music wise?
Oh, learning how to be satisfied with my work, but I suppose the Stones had it right all along..I guess I am trying to laugh more, there is a lot of humor in art that I think gets overlooked, mostly by the artists. Humor is very important for all things.

What's the most unusual place you have played or made a recording at?
In the bottom of a sand crater in the South of Wales, surrounded by gypsies and mystics and there were hundreds of glow worms around the rim of the thing, so it looked like some kind of celestial disco! I hope the moon men enjoyed the show.

What's your favorite treat?
Hmm, saving the tricky ones for last I see. I think just about anything you can eat with your hands. and scotch, you know, for vitamins.

--

1 comment:

  1. Really impressed with this interview and after listening to a handful of tracks there is no doubt at all that all great things are not just another new york indie wonder infact their maybe the next great big thing...if uve checked out this interview and not yet been fortunate enough to listen to celebrations of dust (lol)well i couldnt recommend enough to check out for urself their music for urself!!! a band to keep an eye on in the future for sure.

    ReplyDelete