Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Meet Val Emmich.

I'm a sucker for any one who covers "American Girl" by Tom Petty and The Heartbreakers, but that's definitely not the only reason I am loving the music coming from Val Emmich, who did that cover for his role on Ugly Betty, but he does do covers, as we discussed in the interview. "I normally try to choose covers that might not have been huge hits but that are great songs that people can hopefully appreciate on first listen".

I first came across Val Emmich when reading fellow music blogger Annie Reuter's You Sing, I Write and knew that he and his music was definitely special. A New Jersey favorite that has been featured in such prolific magazines like People and The New York Post, Val Emmich is definitely going to blow up soon.

With my personal favorites being "Snowy Day" and "Just To Feel Alive Again", anyone will adore the powerful lyrics that match his powerful voice and will be looking forward to his follow up album to "Little Daggers" that he is currently in the studio working on. Recently, I got the chance to do an interview with Val and we talked about everything from his major musical influence (they're a biggie!) to who he would love to tour with if he could.

What is your favorite album of 2009 thus far?
I haven't been listening to much new music this year. I just got the new Longwave album and I think that's pretty cool.

How do you go about the song writing process?
First I'll get an urge to play an instrument, either sit at the piano or pick up a guitar. I never sit down with the intention of writing. I'll have to be in the mood. Then I'll just start messing around and if a combination of chords hits me, then usually it will be an organic process from there. A melody will pop into my head and then I'll jot some words down. Twenty minutes or an hour later or whatever I'll either have a gem of a song or an entire song written. The inspiration for a song is usually some kind of mystical thing like that. Then I'll go back and I'll do the hard work of editing the structure, fine-tuning the lyrics, making sure the key is right, etc until I think the song is the best it can be.

Who are your major musical influences?
The Beatles are the biggest. The music of the nineties got me to first pick up a guitar so the whole era runs deep inside me for better or worse.

If you could tour with any three acts, who would they be?
Radiohead, Nada Surf, Pearl Jam.

What are you up to right now, music wise?
I'm currently recording a new album.

What's the most unusual place you've recorded in or played at?
Hmm. I recorded most of "Got a habit now" from my last album 'Little Daggers' in a hotel room while on tour and I recorded vocals while singing through a fan for a song on the album I'm currently working on.

What's your favorite treat?
Popcorn, I have my own theatre style machine. Got it at a secondhand store.

---
To check out a few tunes from Val Emmich and upcoming tour dates (he's playing at the Canal Room in NYC on the 20th!), check him out on his myspace.

No comments:

Post a Comment