Sunday, June 7, 2009

The Future is...Linden.

When spending some solid studio time with two of the great minds behind Motion City Soundtrack, Josh Cain and Justin Pierre, it's known that the music must be great that comes out of it. Linden, made up of sisters Kara and Casi along with Steven on bass, is quickly becoming a group that definetly deserve some listening to. 

I knew these three were something special when we shared a guilty pleasure of The Downtown Fiction, a band that is literally blowing up right now. Along with maybe a mutual love for an awesome fruit? These guys are fun,energetic and it definetly comes out in all of their songs. They just released their first EP "The Future Is..." and will start playing shows like crazy starting June 20th. 

Recently, via the inter webs, I sat down with Kara, who does the lead vocals in the band, and talked everything from what her superpower would be and her major inspirations. Sharing a favorite band in Jack's Mannequin, I already knew that these guys were a great act to watch for in the future! : 

How did you come up with the name Linden? 
The name Linden comes from a song we all enjoy titled "An Oak Tree stands beside a linden" ...but honestly the reason why we call ourselves Linden is simply because we think it sounds cool ;) Has it ever changed? Nooope!

If you could have any superpower, what would it be and why?
I'm thinking either transportation. It would make touring so much easier :)

How do you go about the songwriting process? Does one person write the lyrics or is it more of a collective effort?Anything about it that makes you unique from other acts?
Hmm, it really varies by song! Usually, someone brings a song to the table and we all elaborate on it! The lyrics and music are truly a collaboration of us all!!

What are you listening to at the moment? Any bands that deserve some more light shined on them?
I'm obsessed with John Mayer, Lydia, Taylor Swift, Eisley and Jack's Mannequin lately.A little more shine should go towards Maisie ...if you've never listened to her I highly suggest it!

What did you want to be when you were 10 years old?
At 10 I wanted to move to Los Angeles with my best friend and be a hairstylist and yes, now all I want to do is make music that people want to listen to!

Who are your major musical inspirations?
I'd say the first person that pops into my head at this moment would be Taylor Swift but only because that is who is playing through my iTunes at this moment but there are too many to name. I like to take my inspiration from any music I listen to!

Who would your top three dream acts be to tour with?
Justin Timberlake, Jimmy Eats World and John Mayer.

If you had to put your music into three little boxes, what would the genres be?
Fun, pop, rock.

What is your music guilty pleasure?
The Downtown Fiction.

What is your favorite venue to play? Your dream one?
My favorite venue I've played at is probably the varsity. Someday my dream would be to sell out a stadium. I set my goals pretty high!

What was the first album you bought? The first concert you ever went to?
I think that the first album that came into my posession from a band called "Avalon" and my first concert was probably Jump5, I used to listen exclusively to christian bands. 

What's your favorite treat?
Frozen yogurt.

Any last words?
I love apples.

----
You can find more of Linden's music here

No comments:

Post a Comment